Got old paint cans, chemicals or pesticides cluttering up the garage? Here’s your chance to get rid of them! Grand Traverse County’s RecycleSmart Program will be accepting household hazardous waste (HHW) at their drop-off event on Thursday, June 22, 2017, from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
You do have to make an appointment, however, by using the online scheduling system at RecycleSmart.info or by calling (231) 941-5555. The drop-off location will be provided upon appointment confirmation. Staff at the event offer convenient drive-thru disposal of items so you won’t even have to leave your vehicle.
Grand Traverse County residents may dispose of 150 pounds of hazardous materials at no charge. A $1.30/pound fee will be charged for quantities greater than 150 pounds.
HHW RECYCLE TIPS
- Keep products in original containers and don’t mix products together.
- Keep containers tightly sealed, packed in a box in an upright, stable position.
- Transport HHW in the bed of a pickup or car trunk, whenever possible.
- Do not transport containers with open lids.
- Place chemicals away from passengers.
- Secure all containers so they cannot slide, tip or spill contents.
- Make sure that the containers are not leaking prior to bringing them
to a collection event.
- Items accepted at the HHW collection events include oil-based paint, latex paint, solvents, automotive fluids, household cleaners, lawn and garden chemicals, pesticides, batteries, fluorescent light bulbs and more. See the full list here.
Small businesses, organizations and schools may qualify to dispose of hazardous waste at the Grand Traverse County HHW events. Call RecycleSmart (231) 941-5555 to register and make an appointment as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) (download the form here).
- Examples of Household Hazardous Waste
- Download our Household Paint Disposal Guide
- Download our Household Hazardous Waste Guide
For more information, visit RecycleSmart or call (231) 941-5555.