First Congregational Church (FCC) is hosting their annual event, “The Great Giveaway” on Wednesday, June 14, 2017, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
For the second year in a row, the church will be filling a 30′ x 90′ tent with donated furniture, household items, outdoor items, and sporting goods, giving them away (yes, free!) to those who need them. The event will also include food, music and plenty of community spirit.
Some 300 community members attended last year’s event, and an estimated $40,000 in items were given away. The church also provided popcorn and water, and grilled 500 hotdogs, with 120 volunteers helping out over the course of four days, including the night of the event.
“Several stories were shared from grateful families, overcome by the love and generosity shown through this event,” notes the church’s website. “On more than one occasion, we witnessed community members giving away an item they had chosen, to another guest who they believed could use it more. Kindness was truly contagious!”
The First Congregational Church is located at 6105 Center Road on the Old Mission Peninsula. For more information about The Great Giveaway, visit their website.
If you have items to donate for The Great Giveaway, keep the following guidelines in mind. Items may be dropped off today (Monday, June 12) or tomorrow (Tuesday, June 13) from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. If you need a pick-up, call Marcy at (231) 947-6698.
- All items should be clean and in working order.
- They cannot accept the following: Books, mattresses, cribs, car-seats, stuffed animals, clothing and linens (sheets/towels), TVs, firearms, and appliances/electronics containing freon or mercury (washers, dryers, refrigerators, and window a/c units for example cannot be donated).
- They CAN accept small appliances such as toaster ovens, blenders, mixers, waffle irons, etc. Lamps are also allowed. As long as your electronic item doesn’t contain freon or mercury, they can take it.
They can also accept non-restricted items for these areas:
- Kitchen (dishes, glasses, pots and pans, small appliances – but not towels)
- Living Room (lamps, furniture, artwork, rugs – but not TVs)
- Bedroom (lamps, furniture – but not bedding)
- Collectibles and Knick-Knacks
- Office (lamps, furniture, desk sets, decor)
- Sporting & Camping (all sport and camping equipment is ok, except guns)
- Small Appliances (provided they do not contain freon or mercury)
- Garage (tools, car accessories, but no liquids or flammables)
- Lawn & Garden (lawn mowers, flower pots, garden tools, etc.)
- Furniture – all types!
- Children’s Items (toys, playsets, etc., but not clothing)