A fun time was had by all at the annual Books at the Boathouse gala this week. The elegant fundraiser, held at the Boathouse Restaurant on the shores of Bowers Harbor, included appetizers, dinner, dessert and wine, with proceeds benefiting Peninsula Community Library’s new building project.
Library representatives hope to break ground later this year at the corner of Center Road and Island View Road. The fundraiser earned more than $12,000, bringing the total raised to $1.95 million of their $2.5 million goal. The Peninsula Township Board also recently approved a special use permit for the project.
Help Support Old Mission Gazette - Click Here
The featured speaker at the fundraiser was New York Times Bestselling author and leadership guru Angie Morgan, whose books include Spark: How to Lead Yourself and Others to Greater Success and Leading from the Front: No-Excuse Leadership Tactics for Women.
Angie graduated from the University of Michigan, holds an MBA from the Ross School of Business, and served in the United States Marine Corps. She lives on the Old Mission Peninsula with her husband, Matt Morgan, also a Marine Corps alum who is running for Congress.
A surprise guest also attended the event – Green Bay Packer Joe Kerridge accompanied his mom, Brenda.
The fundraiser also featured a live auction with Ron Jolly, host of The Ron Jolly Show on WTCM AM 580. Auction items included:
- Gourmet Dinner for Six hosted by Brit and Amy Eaton; won by Ted Schweitzer.
- Weekend Stay in Drummond Island Cabin from Rob and Lois Manigold; won by Peter Doren.
- Waffles with Tim at Sunny Slope, hosted by Tim Carroll; won by Matt and Angie Morgan.
- Lunch at the Boathouse and Afternoon Sail on West Bay from Jon and Sue Kinne and Doug and Erin Kosch; won by John and Rebecca Bercini.
- Wine Tasting in Your Home with John and Charmaine Dressler; won by Brad Bickle.
- Weekend at a Cabin on the Au Sable River from Stephanie Coggon; won by Kevin Juett.
The crowd had a lot of fun during the bidding, with someone invariably shouting, “Does it include wine?!” “Always say yes,” quipped Ron Jolly.
Stay tuned to Old Mission Gazette for information about upcoming library fundraising events, including the Mocktail Party and Silent Auction Kickoff on May 7; the Bayshore Marathon on May 26; a party on the building site on May 27; and the annual Book Sale beginning July 19.
For more information about the new building project, contact Peninsula Community Library, (231) 223-7700.
Check out some photos from the 2018 Books at the Boathouse gala.