RecycleSmart has scheduled their upcoming dates for Household Hazardous Waste (HHW). The first is tomorrow; they are likely booked for that one, but you’re welcome to sign up for an upcoming event. Here are the dates for 2018 (note that you may only sign up for an event after the previous event has occurred):
- Thursday, April 12: 1 – 7 p.m.
- Thursday, May 10: 1 – 7 p.m.
- Thursday, June 21: 1 – 7 p.m.
- Thursday, August 9: 1 – 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 29: 9 am. – 2 p.m.
Grand Traverse County residents must make an appointment to bring their HHW items to RecycleSmart’s collection. Call the hotline at (231) 941-5555 or visit the RecycleSmart website here. Time and location are provided once an appointment is made.
Old Mission Gazette is Reader Supported.
Click Here to Keep the Gazette Going.
Note that businesses, organizations, schools, etc. must call the hotline and fill out required paperwork. They cannot make an online appointment.
There is no cost for the first 150 pounds of items. Charges are $1.30 per pound over the 150-pound allotment.
HHW RECYCLE TIPS
- Keep products in original containers and don’t mix products together.
- Keep containers tightly sealed, packed in a box in an upright, stable position.
- Transport HHW in the bed of a pickup or car trunk, whenever possible.
- Do not transport containers with open lids.
- Place chemicals away from passengers.
- Secure all containers so they cannot slide, tip or spill contents.
- Make sure that the containers are not leaking prior to bringing them to a collection event.
- Items accepted at the HHW collection events include oil-based paint, latex paint, solvents, automotive fluids, household cleaners, lawn and garden chemicals, pesticides, batteries, fluorescent light bulbs and more. See the full list here.
For more information, visit RecycleSmart or call (231) 941-5555.
EARTH DAY EVENT
RecycleSmart also has a fun Earth Day event planned for Sunday April 22, 2018, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Twin Lakes Park, 6800 N. Long Lake Road.
This is a free family event to raise environmental awareness and learn from their Earth Day Partners about recycling, composting, water protection, invasive species, energy conservation and more.
The fun begins at 11 a.m. and includes a scavenger hunt with prize drawings, a fire brush truck, make-and-take eco crafts and the following special presentations:
- Live raptor program from Wings of Wonder
- Smokey Bear & Woodsy Owl – Meet & Greet, Photo Op
- Meet the Fleet: Photo Op with an American Waste Recycling Truck
- Delicious food for purchase from Rockwich Food Truck (check out their menu here)
- Live music from Jack Pine TC
- The Basics of Backyard Composting Demonstration
- Guided nature walks with Grand Traverse County Parks & Recreation
- Campfire Safety Demonstration – MDNR and US Forest Service
Everyone is encouraged to attend this fun event, which will take place rain or shine.
2018 EARTH DAY PARTNERS
A NOTE FROM JANE: I started Old Mission Gazette in 2015 because I felt a calling to provide the Old Mission Peninsula community with local news. After decades of writing for newspapers like the New York Times and Los Angeles Times, and magazines like Family Circle and Ladies' Home Journal, I really just wanted to write about my own community where I grew up on a cherry farm and raised my own family. So of course, I started my own newspaper. Because the Gazette is mainly reader-supported, I hope you'll consider tossing a few bucks my way if I mention your event, your business, your organization or your news item, or if you simply love reading about what's happening on the Old Mission Peninsula. Check out the donation page here. Thank you so much for your support. -jb