At their regularly scheduled meeting on July 10 at 7 p.m., the Peninsula Township Board will discuss the following agenda items:
- Recognition of Nick Haines’ promotion to Lieutenant in the Peninsula Fire Department. In a letter to the Township Board, Chief Fred Gilstorff writes that Nick has been with the fire department for more than seven years. “Nick has a great passion for the department and the community. His leadership and work ethic are noticed each and every day.”
- Presentation by Traverse City Area Public Schools (TCAPS) on the upcoming millage vote for schools. TCAPS Associate Superintendent Christine Thomas-Hill and Board Trustee Jane Klegman will be on hand for the presentation.
- Peninsula Community Library presentation. The Library recently unveiled renderings of the interior of the new library, to be located on the corner of Island View Road and Center Road.
- Approve Water Line Agreement for Maple Terrace
- Discussion of the Ordinance Rewrite
Also, the consent agenda includes the following items (any board member or citizen may request that any of these be moved to the Business section for discussion).
- Fire Chief Gilstorff announced two new paramedic hires and one new fire fighter. Click here for more info.
- Approval of the McChesney’s Burger Bar Request (food truck for the Old Mission Art Fair on July 21, 2018).
- Reappoint commissioners and board members – Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA). The board plans to re-appoint the following people to the Planning Commission and ZBA for one year, ending Aug. 31, 2019 – Planning Commission: Monnie Peters, Laura Serocki, Isaiah Wunsch (Town Board rep); ZBA: Matt Cowall, Bernie Soutar, Warren Wahl (Town Board rep), John Snow (alternate).
- Approve contract for new Township Planner Randy Mielnik, who will begin his full-time position with the Township on July 30, 2018. Mielnik’s base salary will be $75,000, with the following additions, which brings the total to $110,323.04: Pension (13%), $9750; Health Savings Account, $1300; Health Insurance (85%), 62 year old/year, $9039, 64 year old/year, $9467.04; Social Security (6.2%), $4650; Medicare (1.45%), $1087.
For more info on any of these Township Board items, click here for the meeting packet. As always, there will be time for citizen comments. The Peninsula Township Hall is located at 13235 Center Road on the Old Mission Peninsula.
There’s certainly a lot to find out about this issue.
I like all the points you made.