Construction continues on the new Peninsula Community Library, being built on the corner of Center Road and Island View Road on the Old Mission Peninsula. Yesterday, the cement was poured for the slab by the crews from Grand Traverse Construction and Team Elmer’s.
“Grand Traverse Construction has been amazing to work with,” said Vicki Shurly, director of Peninsula Community Library. “Pouring the foundation was a huge accomplishment. Everything goes up from here – figuratively and literally. We are still on schedule for a mid-summer completion date!”
Old Mission Gazette is Reader Supported.
Click Here to Keep the Gazette Going.
According to Paul Mahon of Grand Traverse Construction, yesterday’s work included pumping and placing of the concrete, working the edges, floating the bull, and completing the machine paddle finishing.
After several hours, late last night the floor was cut and covered with a glycol hot water heating system, which will heat and cure the new concrete for the next five days. (Note: There is nothing added to the concrete – the heating is simply a process for pouring cement in colder temperatures.)
After that, the layout and framing will begin. The trusses were delivered to the site last week, excluding Glulam (glued laminated timber) columns, beams and trusses, which will come later in preparation for framing to begin.
The underground plumbing, mechanical (spiral duct) and HVAC, electrical, well drilling and septic field are all complete.
Fundraising for the project continues, with about $230,000 needed to reach their goal of $2.5 million. Stay tuned to Old Mission Gazette for info about the upcoming Books at the Boathouse, including a silent and live auction, scheduled for April 2, 2019.
Donate to the NEW Peninsula Community Library
- Check – made out to “Peninsula Community Library Building Fund.” Checks may also be sent to Peninsula Community Library, 2699 Island View Road, Traverse City, MI 49686.
- Credit Card – via the DONATE button at the library’s website – earn those flier miles! (Or go directly to the secure donation page here.)
- Gift of Appreciated Stock – email Vicki at [email protected], and she will send you a form.
- Transfer of Funds – email Vicki at [email protected], and she will send you the routing and account numbers.
- IRA/401K Distributions – talk to your financial advisor about tax benefits.
- Buy a brick! This is an easy and affordable way for folks to be part of the library’s history. Learn more here.
For more information, feel free to call the library at (231) 223-7700. Here are a few more photos of yesterday’s construction.