(Got OMP news or photos? Send them to me, [email protected].)
Just a few years ago, it was tough to find places on the Old Mission Peninsula where you could pick your own cherries. Now there are lots of options, and the cherries are ready. (My brothers say they’ll start harvest next week – more on that later).
Old Mission Gazette is Reader Supported.
Click Here to Keep the Gazette Going.
If you have cherries at your farm stand or available for U-Pick and I haven’t listed you, tell us in the comments section at the bottom of this story, and I’ll add you to the list.
Farm Stand Cherries
if you don’t want to pick your own cherries, you’ll find plenty on the farm stands, including:
- Local Yokels: two stands, corner of Center Road and Gray Road, and 13130 Center Road
- Between the Bays Warren Orchards: two stands, 8169 Center Road and 2705 Island View Road
- Sullivan’s Fruit Stand: 14325 Center Road
- Twin Maples Farm: 16625 Center Road (I believe they also have U-Pick here)
- Tabone Orchards: 14998 Peninsula Drive
- Johnson Farms: 14533 Center Road
U-Pick Cherry Farms
And here are some of the farms that have U-Pick Cherries this year. I believe most of them have buckets or bags available to use…
- Third Coast Fruit Co.: 555 Wilson Road (there’s a lot happening on this farm, including news about a cider mill coming up – I’ll tell you more in a separate story)
- Santucci Farms: 11789 Center Road
- Edmondson Orchards: 12414 Center Road
- Harbor View Lavender Farm: 17770 Center Road
- Cherry Connection: Blue Water Road
Again, let me know in the comments below if I’ve missed you, and I’ll add you to the list.
A NOTE FROM JANE: I started Old Mission Gazette in 2015 because I felt a calling to provide the Old Mission Peninsula community with local news. After decades of writing for newspapers like the New York Times and Los Angeles Times, and magazines like Family Circle and Ladies' Home Journal, I really just wanted to write about my own community where I grew up on a cherry farm and raised my own family. So of course, I started my own newspaper. Because the Gazette is mainly reader-supported, I hope you'll consider tossing a few bucks my way if I mention your event, your business, your organization or your news item, or if you simply love reading about what's happening on the Old Mission Peninsula. Check out the donation page here. Thank you so much for your support. -jb